Monday, February 02, 2009

Day 22…Luke 1:26-38

"Nothing is impossible with God.” (Luke 1:37) 

Notes from the devotional:

  • Theologians us a trio of words to describe God:
    • Omnipotent (all powerful)
    • Omniscient (all knowing)
    • Omnipresent (everywhere present)
  • God has commented on his omnipotence in the Bible:
    • When God spoke to Abraham and Sarah about a son, when Sarah laughed at the notion… “Why did she say, ‘Can an old woman like me have a baby?’ Is there anything too hard for the Lord?” (Genesis 18:13-14) …of course not, nothing is too hard for the Lord.
    • When God spoke to Mary about  having a son…Mary’s questions were answered by the firm assuring statement, Nothing is impossible with God.” (Luke 1:37)
  • God’s statements to Sarah and Mary about divine omnipotence need to be seen in the context of divine will. God was stating that nothing would hinder him from doing what he willed to do.
  • There is a great challenge and wonderful comfort in these words.
    • The challenge lies in the fact that resistance to God is little short of suicidal.
    • The comfort inherent in God’s omnipotence means that he will come through in the end. Praise the Lord!
My notes:
  • Why do I always worry so much? God can do what he says he can do, and WILL do what he says he can do. If God has stated that he will take cares of the birds, then he surely will take care of us!
    • “Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? … But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you.” (Luke 12:24-25, 31)
  • I’m not talking about the Gospel of Wealth that some evangelists spout off about (I’m looking at you, Mr. Osteen). I’m talking about God taking CARE of us. That doesn’t necessarily mean wealth, or prosperity, or fame, or anything like that. I am talking about your needs. And most of all your eternal salvation. If God is going to take care of what I need… my manna from heaven… why do I worry so about storing up anything.
  • The only thing I really have a hard time getting away from is the desire for time. I want more of it. It seems that all my time is taken up for others. All Kelly’s time is taken up for others, when our own children (and house) and spiritual development seems to be neglected. Can anyone help me not be so resentful over this? That is probably my biggest struggle. It is making me resent the job I do and the call I feel God has placed on Kelly and me.
  • I am guilty of the sin of disbelief. Please, Lord, forgive me my disbelief and lack of trust in you. Forgive me my resentment and anger and fist shaking Lord. Help me believe in your love for me and omnipotence and desire to care for me despite me. Thank you for your provision and sustenance daily.
Personal challenge:
  • Do you believe God can and will do what he says he can do?
  • What is keeping you from trusting in God’s omnipotence in your life?
~~from The One Year Book of Devotions for Men (Stuart Briscoe, 2000)~~

0 comments: