Thursday, March 06, 2008

BlogBackupOnline rocks and has saved me....


...from being an idiot again.

When I first started my blog, it wasn't My Turn on the Couch... it was the McKay Wildlife Preserve. Anyway, long story short, I didn't do what I needed to do to save all my posts, and when I switched it over to MTOTC, I lost all my posts. Why couldn't BlogBackupOnline have existed then?! If it had, it would have saved me lots of headaches and some fantastic, world-changing, blog entries. Really, they were, but since they got lost I can't prove it.

Anyway...

With BBO, I don't have to worry about it. Once you get an account, set up your blog with them in your account, and it will automatically backup your blog nightly. Blogger has a catastrophic server crash and lose your blog? Restore it from BBO. Act like an idiot like me and lose all your posts? Restore from BBO.

Up until now they have been free as they are in beta. They are about to go out of beta, but will still have a free service:

Free: 5mb storage
$49.99/year: 50 MB storage
$99.95/year: 1GB storage

Yeah, I know. I thought that too. "Only 5mb storage? That's piddly!" But then I checked my account, and with 139 posts to MTOTC I have only used 721k of space. That comes out to about 964 posts to your blog before you need more space.

The way I see it, BBO is a great little utility to keep me from looking like an idiot and losing all my blog data. And free ain't such a bad thing is it?

Oh, yeah. The link. Here ya go. BlogBackupOnline

0 comments: