Sunday, July 06, 2008

Everything feels flat now...

Two hour drive to the airport in Birminghan. Didn't even turn the radio on.
Just stared at the road and drove.

The airport used to be one of my favorite places. The ultimate people
watcher place. Today I just kind of stared blankly at the floor.
Eavesdropping on the myriad conversations around me used to be a favorite
pasttime in the airport. Today I'm just kind of in my own world, oblivious
to the conversations that now seem so inane. So trivial. So UNIMPORTANT.

Everything just seems drab and gray. I guess this is what it feels like
when you're awoken in the middle of the night to be informed your
father-in-law has passed away suddenly, and barely 10 hours later you'rein
an airport waiting to fly and see him. To try to be that rock for my wife
and sons who were already there for vacation. To try and make sense of
this. I'm jealous of him. Right now he's dancing with Jesus, and we're all
stuck here.

Carl, we're gonna miss you. Put a good word in with Our Father to take care
of your girls...I'll do my best, but life without you is going to be hard
on them all.

0 comments: