Saturday, October 29, 2005

Good Guys Wear Black!


FINALLY! After all these years the good old guys in black are back as World Champs! Now granted, I have come late to the White Sox fan base. Kel and I lived in Chicago for eight years while I went to grad school. I knew all about the Cubs due to WGN Superstation and the fact they were National League. I knew next to nothing about the White Sox. But getting tickets to White Sox games was a WHOLE lot easier, and it wasn't long before we were getting out to a few games per year. I remember sitting in the right field bleachers at Comiskey (I refuse to call it that corporate sponsored crap they have now) for 3 games out of the last 4 games of the season in a 4 game series with the Texas Rangers in a battle for their division. I remember the pain of all the talk of the White Sox being the favorites to win the World Series in 1994 when the strike hit and there was NO playoffs, much less a World Series. Until the day we moved away, that was still a sore point with White Sox fans - we felt robbed!

Now since I have left Chicago my work has kept me too busy to stay in the loop, though caught myself getting back in the loop this season as they tore up the league. But I remember sitting and watching Ozzie, Tim Raines, Joey Cora, Harold Bains PLAY for the White Sox, not COACH. Kinda bizarre to see fiery Ozzie MANAGING, when there were times he needed the MOST managing when playing! LOL... I remember BlackJack McDowell, Jason Bere, Bo Jackson, and even the Michael Jordan debacle/experiment. I remember going to a game on the spur of the moment after work with Kelly and Connor when he was only months old... on a weeknight... and getting to sneak down in the stands behind home plate, watching the game as we held our new, first child. And I remember the brats! Oh, the Comiskey brats! LOL

Now it's the Konerko's, the Uribe's, the Crede's, the Pierzynski's, the Dye's, and so on. And don't even get me started on the pitching! WOW...

Anyway, I just wanted to give props to a true blue-collar, working-guy, regular Joe team that worked AS A TEAM all the way to the World Championship!

0 comments: