Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Telemarketer etiquette from a 9 year old

Okay it really wasn't a telemarketer that Kelly was on the phone with, but close enough. An insurance company.

She was sitting on Connor's bed with him while he was reading, and she was trying to get through to Blue Cross Blue Shield to verify mental health benefits for a patient. Now any of you who have had to call your insurance company will know that they are all voice activated systems now (like that guy in the commercial these days). Of course you also know that it doesn't recognize the information you state most of the time either. This results in saying the same thing over and over. I challenge any of you to have to do that repeatedly without yelling at the phone and nameless insurance lady voice.

Anyway, that was what was happening for Kelly...

"Please state the patient's date of birth."

"January 23, 1998."

"I'm sorry. I did not understand that."

"JANUARY 23, 1998!"

"Thank you. Please hold."

....minutes go by....

"Thank you for holding. Are you requesting dental, medical, or mental health benefits?"

"Mental health."

"I'm sorry. I did not understand that."

"Mental health!"

"I'm sorry. I did not understand that."

"MENTAL HEALTH!"

"Thank you. Please hold."

"Thank you for waiting. Are these for inpatient or outpatient benefits?"

"Outpatient."

"I'm sorry. I did not understand that."

"OOOOOOUUUUUUUTTTTTPAAAATTTTTIIIIEEEEEENNNNNNTTTTTT!"

(followed by a few under-the-breath words.....)

"Thank you. Please hold."

Then all of a sudden Connor stops reading and says, "Mom, are you still on hold?"

"Yeah, Connor. Still on hold."

"Well, yeah," he says, "I wouldn't want to talk to you either if you kept yelling at ME like that. Sheesh."

Ah, the simplicity of kids.

2 comments:

Kojubat said...

You should always intentionally screw up those prompts if it isn't understanding you. Eventually, it throws an error to have a real person help you.

I hate the one used by my Cable Company. They tried to give it a personality. "Okay, I'll transfer you." "Hmm, it sounds like your problem is with your modem." Considering you hear the same things over and over, it just gets annoying.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Why don't you just tell me the insurance benefit you want.

Ah, Seinfeld. The classics.