Friday, January 27, 2006

Ticket to a truck: update

Well, now I sit waiting to find out how much they are going to give me for my totaled out RAV4. Should find out Monday or Tuesday. Of course it sucks that I am going to end up with a car payment (though I am psyched about getting a new truck - start shopping around tomorrow), but I am ready to start the process. However, I had a little pot o' gold yesterday that helped.

The Progressive Insurance guy (the other guy's insurance company) called and asked if he could come by yesterday to get me to sign papers saying I was not injured and wouldn't come after them later.

So we start talking, and he says, "So you and the boys are okay? Injuries are all taken care of?"

I said, "Um, we were never injured apart from a headache that day."

"Oh, so you never got looked at for injuries?"

"Um, no."

"Oh! Well then why do I have these three injury claims?"

"I don't know. I didn't submit them."

"Well, I have to settle them somehow so we can sign the paperwork and close the claim. How about we do this? You did say you had some headaches, but are fine now. So all three of you did have some pain. Well, what we could do is I could settle these claims for a flat sum for each claim, then we'll sign the papers and close them out."

"Okay, that's fine by me." (Thinking he's gonna give me like $25 per claim...)

"Okay, Mr. McKay. Let me get this paperwork filled out, and I'll write you three separate checks, one for each claim, for $200.00"

"Wow! $200.00 for the claims?!"

"Yes, $200.00 per claim."

So, needless to say, I bit my lip as hard as I could to avoid the you-know-what-eating grin I had developing over the fact that I was about to get $600.00 in personal injury claims when there were no injuries to claim!

So at least I have $600.00 more to put toward the new truck down payment than I expected!

0 comments: