Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Day 2... James 1:19

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry..."

Notes from the devotional:

  • We men need to understand that in healthy homes, everyone feels free to express feelings without fear of hearing "That's stupid!" ... "Only an idiot would feel like that," ... or "Why don't you grow up?!"
  • Maybe the feelings are immature, but they are real nonetheless.
  • It's not our job to analyze; it is our duty to love, value, and understand our families.
My notes:
  • This is the crux of my failures with my boys. I'm so quick to say "it's time to grow up", and yell at them, or get angry with them, when they're just being boys that I am daily damaging our relationship. Especially with Luke. Connor is so resilient and Mitch doesn't really understand, but this hurts Luke's feelings so much and he holds on to these hurts.
  • Why can't I write Ephesians 6:4 on my heart? (I prefer NIV, but the New Living Translation really pierces my heart...) "And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord."
  • Hard reminder today.
  • Lord, I ask for your forgiveness for my harshness with my sons. Please help me hold on to these fruits of the spirit...patience, kindness, gentleness, and self-control... they are crucial to my relationship with my sons. Please help me show them the grace and mercy and unconditional love that you afford us through your Son, Jesus Christ.
Personal challenge:
  • Ask a family member, "How was your day?" Listen well.
  • Thank God that he listens to you.

~~from Men of Integrity: A Daily Guide to the Bible and Prayer (1999)~~

0 comments: