Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 7…Isaiah 1:5

"Why do you continue to invite punishment. Must you rebel forever? Your head is injured and your heart is sick.”

Notes from the devotional:

  • Why do some people seek out trouble? Perhaps it is the thrill of matching wits with authority…maybe it’s an indication of restlessness of spirit that seeks a satisfaction not found in legitimate activities.
  • In the days of Isaiah, the Israelites rebellion and unacceptable behavior were inviting God’s punishment.
  • God is the one who defines acceptable and unacceptable behavior, and he is the one who metes out the appropriate punishment when his laws are opposed.
  • God displays his righteousness by dealing rightly with his people. This includes ensuring that they live by the consequences of their actions.
  • But the question remains: why do we persist in rebelling against God?
  • We invite trouble when:
    • we take from God all he provides but do not appreciate his provision
    • after years of instruction and opportunity to learn from him, we still don’t get it and act as if we have not been instructed in his Word
    • when we willingly turn away from him and his wisdom and listen to our sinful natures
My notes:
  • I keep talking to the kids I see in my office and their parents the concept of “learning to live by the consequences of their choices”. But I don’t always practice what I preach.
  • I know to treat my children with respect and gentleness and patience and kindness, but often (who am I kidding… usually) don’t.
  • I am commanded to seek him daily, yet I do not.
  • You know, I am so unforgiving to the boys when they violate my rules multiple times, or even a second or third time. But what about the endless times I disobey God? I deserve his wrath!
  • Thank you, Father, for your endless mercy on me. Thank you for this passage to remind me that despite your mercy, I must be cognizant of your discipline in my life for my rebellion. And Lord, thank for that discipline. It is only out of your endless love and desire for a relationship with me. help me to always be mindful of this and to accept living by the consequences of my choices.
Personal challenge:
  • Where has God provided discipline in your life? How accepting or understanding of this discipline were you?
  • Ask God to help you remain mindful of your behavior and the consequences that can occur. Pray that the Holy Spirit will be your counsel to avoid rebellion from God.
~~from The One Year Book of Devotions for Men (Stuart Briscoe, 2000)~~

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: