Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 10…Exodus 3:1-12

"God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses! … Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” (Exodus 3:4-5) 

Notes from the devotional:

  • God calls a man into his fiery presence (Ex 3:1-4)… The man who avoids the flame of God’s Spirit will never experience a complete burning away of fear and pride.
  • God calls a man to remove his shoes (Ex 3:5)… The issue wasn’t bare feet but the removal of one’s own self-fashioned support.
  • God calls a man to know God’s heart (Ex 3:7-8)… Only in God’s presence did Moses learn of God’s gentle heart, compassionate nature, and desire to heal and deliver.
  • God calls a man to leadership (Ex 3:9-10)… For Moses, the call was to lead a nation. Your call and mine will likely be less visible, but a call nonetheless!
  • Our response should mirror Moses’ response (Ex 3:11-12)… “Who am I to do these things?” …To which God always replies, “I will be with you.”
My notes:
  • We must never be afraid to answer God’s call. He only works for good, so despite what WE may see as negative repercussions to the decision to follow his leading, we must obey and understand that his purpose goes beyond what we can see.
  • Trust him in this! What does the old hymn say? “Trust and obey, for there’s no other way…”
  • Knowing that I am in God’s will should be a comfort when the worldly stressors of our obedience weigh heavily on me. Sometimes I wish God hadn’t called me to move back home to this practice! It is too stressful! I had to leave a place Kelly and I dearly loved! We are financially burdened! We had to leave schools that met the needs of our special needs children so much better! We have very little time to be with one another as a family! This job is forcing Kelly to work too hard at something she does not enjoy (the office manager stuff) and I see it’s weight on her! The only thing… the ONLY thing… that gets me through all these losses and stressors is know that this is the place God called me to at this time in our lives. I am doing what he wants of me, so all these other worldly stressors should mean nothing. I should be joyful. But I admit that I struggle MIGHTILY with this on a daily basis.
  • Lord help me stay focused on what you have guided me to do. I beg for a relief from some of these stressors. But if such relief is not part of your will, help me be accepting of this fact and remain joyful that I am doing what I can to be within your will. Help me remain joyful that I am trying to be your Do-Go-B Man…
Personal challenge:
  • Moses responded to God’s call by saying, “Who, me?” … When have you felt like that?
  • Ask God to give you the willingness to do whatever he asks.
~~from Men of Integrity: A Daily Guide to the Bible and Prayer (1999)~~

0 comments: