Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A talk on adolescent depression and suicide

I have to give a talk tonight at one of the local high schools on depression and suicide in children and adolescents. I have done this often when I lived in North Dakota, but t was always for peer youthworker training. This is supposed to be for parents and students, and they are expecting up to 400 people. So instead of just sitting on the back of a chair and informally talking to people in a small setting, I am having to do the whole Powerpoint presentation thing. Not my style, as I am typically much more comfortable just sitting down with people or kind of walking around the room... Gonna be a new experience for me.

Figured I would put a link to the Powerpoint presentation I am using. For most of the people who visit my site, this may not apply since they either don't have kids, have really young kids, or work in more tech related fields. Still, hopefully it will be of use to someone... Maybe it will turn up on a Google search for someone someday...

Depression and Suicide in Children and Teenagers

Now back to my normal boring, care free fare....

2 comments:

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Had I read this on the day you were going to to it, I would have told you to stick with the informal, couch approach, to frame the discussion in something people were more comfortable with, but that's just me.

How'd it go?

Headgamer said...

Yeah, it went fine. Was a smaller group than they expected. I just basically walked around with my wireless mouse in my hand and clicked away on the presentation as I chatted. Threw questions out there and encouraged participation. It was about as laid back and informal as it could have been given the setup of the talk. And hey, I'm glad you didn't read about it until after it was over...

Last thing I needed was a heckler in the back of the room...LOL