Sunday, August 19, 2007

How to Speak Southern, Volume I

So I have often noticed that when I am gaming with a bunch of my friends, nearly all of whom either...

  1. live north of the Mason-Dixon Line
  2. live in the South but are transplanted Yankees
  3. live in Florida (which in many Deep South circles is not even considered "South" due to the constant influx of Northern Snow Birds)
...they always make a comment when I say something like "Dad-gum!" when I die in the game... obviously unfamiliar with the eloquent and colorful vernacular of the denizens of the Kudzu Belt...

So I thought I would start educating my Northern friends about the meaning of some Southern phrases... Now I will not plagiarize these, they are pulled from a book entitled, How to Speak Southern, by Steve Mitchell. The dedication reads: "

This book is dedicated to all Yankees in the hope that it will teach them how to talk right."

LESSON 1:

Ahmoan: An expression of intent. "Ahmoan have a drink. Want one?"

I plan on adding one every day just for kicks... This book is written like a dictionary, so there are TONS to choose from. I will try and pick the highlights for y'all...

That being done... Ahmoan go get me something to drink and play Xbox 360. Later.

Copyright 1976 by Steve Mitchell and Sam C. Rawls

0 comments: