Thursday, August 23, 2007

Space Giraffe tutorial video...

As you may or may not know, I have been a big Jeff Minter fan for years. Jeff was put on tap to design the NEON visualizer for the Xbox 360 media player, and just finished and released Space Giraffe for Xbox Live Arcade. Unfortunately, the game has been getting fairly ripped by a lot of people because they just don't "get it". It definitely pays homage to Tempest, and it seems that some people are playing it just like Tempest, which makes the game rather boring (plus these people likely are not of the old arcade days where the only goal was to get the high score... so again, they just don't "get it"). Minter's game design is an acquired taste and his games are fairly esoteric. One of the biggest complaints I have heard about the game is that they just didn't know exactly what they were supposed to do and that the tutorial was not explanatory enough (and I must admit I kind of feel the same way). But I just noticed on the Yak Yak message boards (Jeff's official message boards for Llamasoft) a mention of a tutorial done by a user over on You Tube. Here you go:




Now two things I myself noted after watching the video:

  1. I was actually doing some of it right when I tried it out...LOL
  2. I thought you could only "bull" enemies when you had a jump pod, but evidently you can do it anytime even without a jump as long as the powerbar is extended. It is not actually the jump that allows you to "bull" enemies; rather, it is the fact that jumping extends the powerbar which allows you to "bull" the baddies and boost your score multiplier. Good to know, and not something I thought was made very clear in the tutorial of the game.
Just FYI for those interested.

2 comments:

LSG said...

Where the heck are the Giraffes?

Headgamer said...

There are none.

From Wikipedia:

"The name "Space Giraffe" originated from Jeff's posts on the Jeff Minter fan forum YakYak and on his blog in which he semi-seriously referred to the player's character in the game as resembling a giraffe.[3][4] This immediately attracted calls from readers and forum posters that the entire game should be named Space Giraffe, and this was used as the working title for the game, and then adopted for the final release because by that time it had already been the subject of widespread publicity. Minter in an interview related, "...all over the place along with stories talking about 'Jeff Minter's new game Space Giraffe,' and in fact I rather liked that name, and so it's stuck. I don't think I need to call it anything other than Space Giraffe now, and indeed it's been so widely reported as such that I actually think it would be harmful to rename it now.""

Though you won't see any giraffes, trust me you will see and hear references to all sorts of farm fauna.... sheep, cows, oxes, bulls, llamas, and so on... Minter's quite the unique guy...LOL