Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Innocence shattered...

So I have decided I am gonna try to put at least one thing on this blog daily, even if it is just a one line quote or something... but today, I have something kind of sad...

So Kelly calls me as I am going to pick up a prescription for our 9 year old son, Connor, and says, "Well, Connor learned the hard way not to stick his middle finger out today." Turns out he was standing in line for something at school, and a kid next to him said something about something having wet paint on it. Connor wiped on it with his middle finger - yes, the bird finger - and held it up to the boy and said, "See? That paint isn't wet." Well, when this kid saw the middle finger held up in front of him, he evidently freaked out. He called the teacher over to them and told her Connor flipped him off. Connor has no clue about "the bird" - he is the most loving, caring, soft-hearted, and generally innocent boy I know - and freaked out likewise because he had no clue why he was getting in so much trouble. His teacher started lambasting him about how inappropriate and rude his behavior was and that he should never do that again and so on and so forth. Connor was trying his best to explain what happened but his teacher kept interrupting him and never let him speak or explain.

Poor Connor comes home with the dreaded "red note" from his teacher to Kel and me telling us that he should be "taught how inappropriate his behavior was" or some such garbage. He asks Kelly if she knows what is so bad about the middle finger, and playing dumb she says, "No Connor, what is so bad about the middle finger?" He says, "See?! You don't know either!" He told Kelly, "She wouldn't let me explain! I tried to tell her the only reason I used that finger was because of the wart on my other finger." See, he has this little seed wart on his pointing finger and is embarrassed by it. Further, Connor tends to use his middle finger a lot in pointing, like when he is reading and following the words in his book, and so forth.

So here's this poor innocent kid who does something innocent. But because of our jaded and antisocial and post-Columbine society, it is assumed that he is being aggressive and harassing when that couldn't be further from the truth!

Chaps my hide something fierce I tell ya!

Needless to say, Kelly called Connor's teacher immediately and tried to explain. But his teacher maintained her annoyed tone and basically told us that we need to do a better job in preparing our children for this crappy, antisocial, and harassing society we live in. Thank you for the advice, Ms. Latimore. But I think I would like for my innocent child to remain innocent as long as he can. Society is going to taint him soon enough.

While I was at the pharmacy picking up his prescription, I bought Connor some pads to help get rid of that wart.

Maybe that kid and Ms. Latimore will wake up with some tomorrow.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Absolutely ignorant!

Maybe Ms. Latimore should take the time to LISTEN to her students instead of just lambasting them at the first sign of trouble.

Defintely the big problem these days. People not taking the time out of their 'busy' days to listen and see things around them.

I've got a finger for ya Ms. Latimore!!

Kojubat said...

It sounds like you need to talk to the principal. You also need to make sure that note doesn't go in any sort of 'permanent record'.

My mother got known in my elementary school system because they refused to place me in an accelerated program above my age. She kept going up the chain until she found someone willing to listen to her, or was able to take action.

Look at me telling you what to do like I'm some kind of expert. ;)

Headgamer said...

LOL Koju!

I know... it is pretty sad these days. It is like the whole academic culture has gotten so gun shy - literally - and scared that they sem to overreact to every little thing these days.

I will definitely be following up with his teacher to ensure that this does not go on any permanent record. If she indicates that it will, my butt will be headed straight to the principal's office.

...speaking of which... it has been a long time since I was siting in the principal's office.... come to think of it.. I did deserve it...

;-)