Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Boy, now THAT didn't last long!

Following my last post, I indeed started writing. Just throwing something on screen in an effort to move past that "I would like to do this but probably never will" thing. My wife sees the last blog entry last night and asked me about it. When I tell her the idea I have had in my head (told her about it years ago actually) she comes back with, "Wasn't that the basic premise of a movie we saw?"

She then kicks in her better-than-elephant-super-computer-archive memory, and seconds later says, "Yeah. Don't you remember? It was a movie called Copy Cat with Sigourney Weaver, I think." Of course, my memory being the sieve that it is, don't. In fact, I still do not think I have ever seen the movie, though she swears I must have since she never watches any movies without me. Anyway, look it up if you want details. Suffice it to say, she was right.

Reality 1, Sean 0

So, I still want to use the basic premise I have (psychologist protagonist...hmmm... wonder how I came up with that one? LOL), but will need to work out new plot/character ideas. It is all good I guess, since to write about the other idea I had I would have had to research a lot about networking/hacking/the underground scene. Not something I really had the time or interest in doing.

But this brings me to another point: Was it really my idea, or did I really see that movie, thinking it was a great plot idea, and over time slowly turn the movie into my idea? Interesting notion. And not one I like to think about. Because if you consider that as a truth or at least a possibility, then you really have to begin to wonder how many of your ideas really are your ideas. Oh well, that is more of a philosophical idea than my brain is used to, so I will stop on that note and let you talk amongst yourselves.

I will post what I have as a start, but it really isn't enough to give a decent character introduction. So it will have to wait a bit.

2 comments:

LSG said...

Oh come on. Movies steal ideas from real life. We had them first. LOL

I think everyone at some time or the other would love to write something. When I was younger I thought about it. But it's hard, at least for me, so I quickly dumped that idea.

My mom has written poetry for as long as I can remember, but doesn't really share it. Maybe she will once I show her how to blog. We'll see.

(I envy those who can create the brain candy I love, so neatly tucked between two pieces of cardboard. Michael Crichton, Dean Koontz, Dan Brown, to name a few...)

But, don't let some movie's theme make you start second guessing yourself. Do what you want to. Who knows.. you could be the next of my writing heroes. :p

Mister Bones said...

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but your second point also reminds me of a movie I recently watched, Secret Window. Great movie, Johnny Depp stars. Hehe.

Oh, and I hear you about forgetting Copycat. I've been trying for years.