Saturday, August 27, 2005

Seven Promises of a Promise Keeper

I know ya'll know about my beliefs about my faith. And I am sure ya'll have heard me mention Promise Keepers (PK for short) before as well. Well, the whole Promise Keepers movement is based on the following Seven Promises:

  1. A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through worship, prayer, and obedience to God’s Word in the power of the Holy Spirit.

  2. A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his promises.

  3. A Promise Keeper is committed to practicing spiritual, moral, ethical, and sexual purity.

  4. A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and families through love, protection, and biblical values.

  5. A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church by honoring and praying for his pastor, and by actively giving his time and resources.

  6. A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of biblical unity.

  7. A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient to the Great Commandment (see Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission (see Matthew 28:19-20).
I know most aren’t interested or care about this, but this is what I am referring to when you hear me talking about being a Man of Integrity, and what the foundation is of this PK thing I am all gung ho about. (Plus I wanted easy access to it on my blog since my memory is like a sieve…LOL)

5 comments:

k o w said...

Actually I was very interested. Thanks for sharing them.

You missed one though.

Promise keepers must draft all of the stars from the Seattle Seahawks.

Headgamer said...

...or the Philly Eagles.... homer. LOL

Seriously, this is a guiding principle in my life now, and man, it has really changed how I look at things and how I try to lead by example. Though a lot of people will say, "...but I already do most of that and I don't need God for it," I honestly don't see how I can without him... Wish I could talk some of ya'll into attending with me next year in Atlanta... (July 21-22, Phillips Arena *hint*)

k o w said...

I hate to say it but 12 years of fervent Catholic education has left me a bit soured on the whole idea of organized religon. My frustration started when I would question the priests of my grade school about dinosaurs and their absense from the Book of Genesis. All I got in return was a pat on my head and a "don't worry about it."

I've actually thought in the past about attending one of these events just to feel them out. I've had friends of mine come out changed for the better. My conundrum is that I'm just too damn cynical, especially when it comes to religon these days.

I blame the Vatican.

Headgamer said...

Ah, but I'm Southern Baptist - WAY different than Catholicism... hehehe.

PK is nondenominational and cynicism is good as long as we're open to other things too other than cynicism...

I'd buy your ticket.

Told you I'm passionate about this stuff and like a bull in the proverbial china shop..

Oh, and about dinosaurs in the Bible. There is mention of them. I would have to look at my notes to get the specific reference. You should see the video series by Dr. Kent Hovind. Very good stuff.

Anyway, about that ticket...LOL

k o w said...

We'll be talking. I'm a firm believer in the idea that a person needs to expand their horizons as much as possible and experience new things. When we die the only thing we'll be taking with us through the Golden Gates are our experiences from this lifetime and I'd like to enter them saying I tried everything at least once.