Saturday, August 27, 2005

Netgear wireless access point... this looks cool!


My wireless stuff just does NOT have good range in my house, and though I do already have an access point I could use at home, I loathe the idea of running CAT cable under the floor and through/up the wall to a central location in the house. However, as I was surfing (as I am wont to do), I came across this from Netgear. One piece plugs into the router and then into a nearby wall outlet. Then you simply plug the second piece into any wall socket in the home. The wireless signal is sent through the wall outlets to each other. No need to run CAT cable! Now, they do say you don't quite get the 54mbps speed due to a little loss of signal through the wall outlets, but if you just need to spread your wireless signal better through the house for surfing or sharing files, this could be awesome! Has anyone ever seen them in use, or know anything about them? I know some of my PC/networking/wireless guru geeks out there will have an opinion, and I would love to hear it.

0 comments: