Monday, August 29, 2005

Netgear wireless access point....success!

So I told you about the Netgear WXGB102 wireless access point that just plugs into the wall. Well, as I was looking at stuff on it this weekend, I noticed Best Buy had it on sale. It can be had for around $120 in most places. Best Buy, in their typical fashion, had it retailing for $150, but had it on sale with $70 in mail-in rebates. So I went and snatched one up. After rebates it will only cost me $80. And this is how hard it was to get it to work...

Plugged a CAT cable into the base device. Plugged it into router, then plugged into wall. Walked to another room on the other side of the house. Plugged in the remote unit into a wall socket. Waited about 30 seconds. Then I had a wireless signal for my tablet pc.

Whew! That was tough! LOL...








Now I did notice that I am getting about 48mbps throughput with the Netgear access point instead of 54mbps near the main router, but still, that is more than fast enough for web surfing or transferring files from one PC to another.

All in all, great success! Go down to your local Best buy and grab one before the mail-in rebates expire (9/3/05).

1 comments:

k o w said...

Awesome, I was looking at buying one. Now that I know some concrete results I'm going to try it.